Accelerated Integration and Future Past 2020 was the theme for a recent Spring 2017 Bio4Energy Researchers' Meeting or Bio4Energy biannual conference for its researchers. The presenters were all recruited for their willingness to collaborate more widely across the Bio4Energy Research and Development Platforms.
Thus, when faced with making choices about whether to introduce a certain emerging technology, Bio4Energy system analysis and bioeconomy researchers suggest asking questions such as:
- What is its cost benefit?
- Will it be competitive compared with existing or other emerging renewables-based technologies on the market?
- Is it robust enough and well enough understood to be scalable to an industrial (or commercial) level?
- Will it still represent the best available option ten-to-15 years from now?
- Is it designed to be eligible for any support measures or schemes that could take it past the "valley of death" stage of its development, in terms of technology readiness level?